Cannot load my pictures from flickr

Topics: User Forum
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Hi,

I cannot retrieve my pictures from my flickr account AlexOnASPDotNET.
Pictures from other users like netopenspace can be downloaded.

Downloading and sharing is set to anyone.

What my I do wrong?

I'm using the latest release.

Alex

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM
I experienced the same issue, but I solved it by using my email address instead if my username.
Mar 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM
me neither

my status is always idle although i can see my photosets.

Moreover your forum is poor and i already spent 2 hours with this silly add on that doesn't work.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM
simosmme: hmm, how about rather than simply saying it sucks, you reach out for help.  Apologies for not responding ASAP, but I was having dinner with my family, but here it is < 4 hours later and I'm here to help (also of which my email address is in the about screen and I keep an 'open door' policy.

So, with that said, simosmme, can you provide me more details?  Rather than "it doesn't work" -- can you provide your Flickr name so I can test on my end.  Most of the time, no photos show up because Flickr's API refuses to send them due to your account privacy settings (required by the Flickr terms and conditions).

I'm willing to help, but would appreciate some reaching out before claiming it doesn't work.
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:44 PM
after a little chat with Tim i found that the problem was that i had my license on "all rights reserved" instead of "creative commons" and i couldn't use my own photos.

in fact i didn't know that i had to change my license because of the previous versions worked fine.

If you make the changes, everything will be working fine.

Thanks Tim for the wonderful work he does to make our photos on Flickr more useful.

I think Flickr must give him a prize, i became Pro user because of that widget.
Apr 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM
I put my Vista again and try to install the widget on Windows Writer.

I can see my all images but not my albums, why?

everything worked fine with my previous Vista but not now, i changed nothing.

Your widget should be working with every PC, every time, otherwise it's useless... :-(
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2009 at 1:15 AM
simosmme - boy you sure do know how to be constructive in your feedback.  I honestly wish rather than just being outright rude, you'd ask for help.  You'd think people would be appreciative of things that are completely free.  If you feel it doesn't work to your liking, then please stop using it.

The PhotoSet (assuming that is what you are calling an album) issue was just discovered by another user this past week and I'm investigating.  As best I can tell it was a subtle change in the Flickr API that I have not accounted for and my code is generating an error which I need to fix.  Since this is not a commercial venture for me, nor my day job, it falls lower in priority than my family and my real job responsibilities.  I am aware of the issue and am investigating. 
Apr 5, 2009 at 10:37 AM
tim, i better criticize you than delete the widget, you should have users like me to criticize your work and make you and your widget better. You know, most people don't bother to ask, find the widget's forum and search more about the problem they have, they just delete it. So we all have interest in making it work.

In my flickr account i can see "SETS" and this is my "Photostream", this is the Flickr word for albums.

I use a lot of free programs in my PC (almost most of them except Vista, Sony Vegas and Photoshop) and all of them are working perfectly all the times (OpenOffice, Gmail, Windows Live Writer, Digsby, etc) - I would be thankful if yours was working perfectly too.

I don't know what the problem is but i hope it will be solved quickly too - it is extremely useful for advanced users.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM
simosmme -- yes i know the terms of Flickr -- after all I wrote this program :-)

My point was that you'd get a better response from me (as did the other person who reported this to me) if you approached it as "Hey, is there a problem with Photosets?  Mine stopped working."  Rather than "this sucks, you suck and you should make sure it works on every computer."  As someone who provides software FOR FREE, I'm more obliged to stop certain family/work stuff to help helpful users rather than rude ones.  I'm just being honest.

That being said, I am investigating it and have logged the work item: http://flickr4writer.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=21944.  Of course you have the option of this FREE and OPEN SOURCE software to fix it yourself :-).

I'll add a new release when I discover the issue and fix.  The last requirement placed upon me BY FLICKR has caused several issues in the software which I'm not happy about.  But I had to make a change that was required BY FLICKR or I would have had my software shut down.  It has caused me more headaches and a few more bugs as a result of that change.

As to your note about other free programs.  There is a HUGE difference between FREE COMMERCIAL and FREE BY ONE PERSON JUST WANTING TO HELP PEOPLE.  I'm in the latter camp.  Like I said, if it doesn't work for you or isn't fixed at the pace acceptable for you, I apologize, but feel free to use something else.

I contribute things I find useful to the community.  When people attack that contribution in a rude manner, I'm less inclined to continue that benefit.
Apr 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM
If Flickr doesn't let your software, it's a silly decision...

they should buy this idea and five it to everyone - we put our photos to flickr to use them, not just to store them so Flickr should give us this opportunity.

If your widget doesn't work, i won't delete your widget, i will delete my Flickr account and search for something else.

I am not a programmer, i am a journalist and media people want stuff fixed quickly, that's the rules on our market :-)

thanks 4 the help and keep up the good work, we are here to appreciate your work and get pressure on you and be better and better - you need us as we need your widget :-)
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM
I ignored my children for a few hours on your behalf and fixed the photoset bug.  Please install the latest version: http://flickr4writer.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=25717
Apr 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM
:-)